A History of 19a Main ST: Blackrock Market
The main house of Blackrock Market, which dates from 1750, was originally a hotel and tavern, and formed part of the old street frontage in Blackrock. Today's journey to Blackrock from Dublin City centre is as easy as jumping on the DART, but people arriving up the the steps over 270 years ago would have had a much rougher journey, for in the 18th Century Booterstown was notorious for its highwaymen. The Georgian house within the market site, a sister to the Garda Station next door, housed the first barracks in the Dun Laoghaire area. When James Joyce's character Leopold Bloom, was making his odes around Dublin on June 16th 1904, Sam Byrne, victualler, was operating his business here, sharing the roof with Peter Whelan, pawnbroker
The house within the market is a typical Georgian house with all features virtually intact. Externally it has an 18th Century cut-granite door case, a symmetrical facade, and original windows. The archway to the right of the house allowed coaches to drive through the stables in the yard. The interior is also of interest, featuring the original fireplaces a dado rail throughout many of the rooms , original 18th Century ceilings and cornices virtually intact at ground level, some original doors (sadly many have had to be replaced with modern fire doors), panelled shutters and window mouldings, skirting boards, an unusualChinese Chippendale staircase, partially intact at the second floor, and a quad-dado bannister in the hall.
In the basement Wine Bar the old cookstove has been retained and restored in the 1750's scullery and staff dining area, allowing a glimpse into the kitchen of a Georgian Inn.
Welcome to the Blackrock Market.